Sunday, February 9, 2014

Appropriation Project: Snapshot

Artists Think Creatively
When presented with examples of Appropriation in class, my mind immediately went to my Art I class. In my Art 1 class, my table became really good friends and we had lots of inside jokes. Inspired by a youtube video of a singing and dancing banana, the bananacorn was created. I sketched it the magical creature out just for laughs. 
I used this idea to branch off of for my appropriation project. I decided to make a uniCORN with a corn cobb horn instead of a banana horn for a play on the word itself. 

Artist Develop Art Making Skills and Take Risks
Although i stuck to a familiar medium for this project, there was still room to learn new things. I chose to use a 'fancier' brand of colored pencils than the standard crayola ones I normally use, which at first was a bit intimidating to me. These pencils were a little bit different to work with because they force me to use layers of color starting at the lightest value to acheive the desired hue. I was also able to blend colors using the blending pencil that is the same brand as the other pencils. 
Another new technique that I used was to was using tracing paper to decide the layout and composition of my piece. After trial and error i decided where i wanted my backround to fall into place and was able to begin shading the backround behind the unicorn. Overall, i took a risk trying to create the piece in a realistic manner despite the fact that it depicts a mystical creature.



No comments:

Post a Comment